Monday, February 15, 2016

WIP update: Interiors 'Complete' for Upper Level



After a long and frustratingly UN-LEGO week it was great to get back to my project.  I had started on my interior earlier but was waiting on a bricklink order to arrive so I could complete it.  I tinkered a bit here and there and encountered some issues with the roofing - I'll cover that in a later post - and went over some of the interiors I had built in the past to see if I could inspire myself.



Looking back at some of my older castle themed builds I noticed the interiors were often added as an afterthought, and always added at the very end.  I remember there was often a sense of rush when I was adding these details - the exterior was done and I was keen to get it posted, mostly because I believed my building defined my participation within the community.  If I wasn't building and posting then I wasn't part of the game.  And let's face it, few people will follow the links to the more detailed pictures, it's very much about that first image.  My last few builds - the medieval village - has no interiors at all.




Well, no rushing this time round.  I have limited time as it is so I was determined to take it easy and make this right.  I have tried to put as much effort into these two rooms as I would a creation that was solely an interior diorama without an exterior.  Originally I wasn't to make the scene into a mini vignette just for this shoot but I was so creatively drained I couldn't think of a thing!  Of course once the shoot was finished multiple comic scenarios occurred to me but by then it was too late. 



Fighting that creativity drain can be hard.  I currently work as a music and guitar teacher so I am playing music and flexing my creative muscle all the time.  Sometimes my brain muscle is just too exhausted to think beyond my previous planning.  It's weird to explain, mostly the inspiration just flows, but in times like these I feel like my head is empty.  It's like you can hear the wind whistling through my ears.  Stupid wind's too loud, it won't let me think!  I think next time I'll put it off for twenty four hours and approach it with a fresh head.

Still it's not like the interior didn't work out!  It's just not as funny as it could have been - which was totally hilarious I assure you.  Maybe next time...

2 comments:

  1. Looking great so far! And I look forward to seeing a totally hilarious installment sometime in the future :)

    ReplyDelete